SANTA ROSA, MEXICO
Polish war-refugee camp

During a visit to Mexico of the then Prime Minister of Poland, General Wladyslaw Sikorski, in December 1942, an agreement was signed between the Governments of Poland and Mexico, and because of it, Mexico offered asylum to thousands of Polish was refugees during the war.  This agreement was guaranteed by another agreement signed by the Governments of Poland and The United States, which granted the Polish Government a credit for supporting the Polish refugees in Mexico.

The refugees arrived to Mexico in two transports.  The first group of 706 people, men, women, and children, arrived on July 1, 1943. 

On November 3, 1943 the second group of refugees arrived.  This group consisted of 726 people, among them were 264  fatherless children, including 87 orphans.

The town of Leon, Mexico
The main building of the Santa Rosa Colony
Buildings of the Santa Rosa Colony under construction
These photos are from an album about Santa Rosa, courtesy of Julian Plowy